|Elliott Carter (1908-2012)|
1. What is the affect of this music? (How does it make you feel?)
2. How did the Carter create that affect?
3. What measure do you think would be the most difficult to perform and why?
4. Should this piece be studied in future ABEL classes as a landmark work? why/why not?
5. Compare and contrast this to Davison's Brass Quintet, also written in 1974. Davison studied with Walter Piston, Howard Hanson and Alan Hovaness. Who where Carter's influences and how do you think that lead to his own style?
To learn more about Carter, visit his Boosey and Hawkes page to view an excellent video on his early years here. Here are links with more information about the composer John Davison and the Chestnut Brass Quintet.